Pike & Virginia Building, Champion Building

Pike Place and Virginia St

Near pergola at southwest corner of Pike Place and Virginia Street

Walk east through the park, and across Western Avenue. The next stop is at the southwest corner of Pike Place & Virginia Street, near the concrete slabs from 1929 and pergola which was added after the 1977 rehabilitation.

Gazing south along Pike Place affords a moment to appreciate the scale of the historic Market buildings in context with the soaring glass and steel growing behind it them. Immediately east is the Pike & Virginia Building on the former site of a surface parking lot and gasoline station from 1928 that boasted a single freestanding pump. Built in 1978, this was the Market’s first new structure after the rehabilitation project. One of the few buildings in the neighborhood with an overtly modern appearance, the use of scale and materials by Olsen & Walker Architects pays deference to the utilitarian structures of the market.

The Champion Building stands just to the south. Built to serve house the Dollar Cab Company in 1928, it was designed by Charles Haynes whose well-known Seattle designs also included the second Butterworth Mortuary (Melrose & E. Pike St). It is said to have been constructed using ‘imported Swedish cement.’ In the 1930s it became a meat business, and by 1937 a poultry dealer occupied the upper floor level. In 1950, Robert W. Champion bought the building and relocated his Champion Display Company here. The Champion family retains ownership of the building to this day, and undertook a rehabilitation project that was completed in 1976.

South of the Champion Building is the Soames-Dunn Building, with its traditional suspended-metal canopy. This was the first major commercial rehabilitation project undertaken by the PDA in 1976. That project connected the Soames (north) and Dunn (south) buildings internally with a common central entryway and small courtyard behind, and was overseen by architect Arne Bystrom. The small storefront at the south end of the building became the new location of the Starbucks Coffee company after it relocated from a storefront on the north side of the foot of Virginia Street in 1976.

The Soames Building was originally a two-story stable building, and in 1937 tax records indicate that a furniture shop operated out of the second floor, with a smokehouse and sausage factory below. Permits also indicate that this building housed several Japanese tenants and merchants until the internment in 1942. In 1944 Willard R Soames bought the building. As a child, Soames sold chickens with his father at the Market, and in the 1920s helped create the Associated Farmers of Pike Place Market during the controversy around the Goodwin Group Stalls. By 1940, the Soames Paper Company operated out of the second floor of the building, providing paper bags to Market farmers. The Soames Paper Company also provided all paper products used in the 1962 World’s Fair.

The Dunn Building was originally constructed in 1918 and housed the C.B. Strong seed company that had relocated from the Silver Oakum building upon losing its lease; the company was apparently part-owner in this structure. An employee of Strong’s, J.W. Dunn took over the business and renamed the building around 1924, making it the city’s main farm/feed store until the 1950s. City records indicate that this building housed Japanese tenants and fruit merchants throughout the 1920s and 1930s. The building was purchased by the PDA in 1972.

Download the App

Visit HistoryLink.Tours in your mobile browser to download our web app!

HistoryLink Tours App

To add this web app to your device, tap the share icon and select Add to Home Screen.

HistoryLink Tours App

To add this web app to your device, tap the overflow button (three vertical dots) and select Add to Home Screen.