1519 Pike Place
1519 Pike Place
The year after the Market began, Manning’s was in business in this location, the first of what came to be many locations of that chain of cafeterias along the West Coast. It opened in 1908 with a centerpiece coffee roaster, selling the beans and the beverage, and through its tenure offered roasted peanuts, baked goods, and other light fare. Reid Lowell purchased the business, undertook major renovations, changed the name and launched this restaurant and bar in 1957, its longevity having now surpassed that of the prior tenant and still going strong.
Lowell’s offers three levels of dining, two for diners ordering from the main level’s counter service, the middle floor for table service and a handful of seats available at the bar in the center. Great views, no matter which you choose.
Layered within the Lowell’s history lies a bit of Pike Place Market history as well. In September of 1964, Victor Steinbrueck co-hosted a champagne breakfast here to bolster support for efforts to save the Market from being transformed into parking garages, office buildings, and other development. To prevent the Market from being razed, these “Friends of the Market” rallied the community toward what was a decisive vote in 1971 that saved the Market and prompted action to preserve this soul of the city.
Continue north through the Main Arcade, past Chukar Cherries (which for over 30 years has been selling outstanding dried cherries and other fruits), turn right to pass through the first doorway to the cobblestones of Pike Place and cross the street to the northeast corner of its intersection with Pine Street.